CBX 1000Z Restoration - Candy Glory Red this time!

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX 1000Z Restoration - Candy Glory Red this time!

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

This is a follow on to my previous restoration:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=9654

This time, I am restoring one in Candy Glory Red so will have a matching pair.

I have gone about this restoration in much the same way, so won't duplicate things - will focus on bike specifics or anything new I have found along the way.

Paul.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX 1000Z Restoration - Candy Glory Red this time!

Post by jnnngs »

The Starting Point

I bought the bike around June 2015. It was a running bike but hadn't been used for about a year. It had 57,000 miles on it, and was in reasonable original condition:
20150717_100356.jpg
20150717_100408.jpg
The intention was to put it back to as original as possible. I started on it in early September, and all being well will finish it by the end of year - just started putting it back to together.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

The Engine

The engine has 57,000 miles on it, and the previous owner had replaced the rings, and put new primary and cam chains on it. An initial compression test showed all cylinders being around 170 PSI (hot engine), so wasn't expecting any problems. The engine also has a later prolink complete cylinder head on it - was told it came off a "school, bike".

So far:
- Top end stripped
- Cylinder head and block vapour blasted
- crank cases, block and head all painted
- bores / pistons / rings all looked OK, so left as is
- head / cams / valves looked OK. Lightly lapped the valves on re-assembly.
- valve clearances all set to 0.1mm
20151124_162342.jpg
20151202_115819.jpg
Engine.PNG
The cylinder head has the prolink cams in it. I believe these are a different profile to the Z, not sure how this will impact carburation - carbs are standard Z.

Note I painted the block / head this time - as per previous thread on this subject! Not sure it makes a lot of difference either way.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jnnngs on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Zinc Plating

I re-plated the majority of fasteners / brackets back to their original silver / yellow / black.

Last time, I plated items such as carb mounting clamps in "olive Drab". Having looked at NOS items, I came to the conclusion that they were originally black, but over time they fade to look like "olive drab", so this time have plated them black. To be honest, there's not that much of a difference in the two colours.
DSC05487.JPG
DSC05489.JPG
DSC05490.JPG
DSC05491.JPG
DSC05494.JPG
DSC05488.JPG
DSC05492.JPG
As before, after plating you need to check threads / items with tight clearances that they still fit OK.

Paul.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I read where you put a prolink head on this bike. Was the black paint hard to remove? What did you use to remove it? Aircraft stripper?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

tevan wrote:I read where you put a prolink head on this bike. Was the black paint hard to remove? What did you use to remove it? Aircraft stripper?
It had already been stripped / painted silver when I got the bike so I am not sure how the black finish was removed. Vapour blasting or aircraft stripper would have removed I am sure.

Paul.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Looking very nice! Is this an early engine with smooth studs? Not a problem at all, IMHO, just wondering how early the engine/frame are?

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

daves79x wrote:Looking very nice! Is this an early engine with smooth studs? Not a problem at all, IMHO, just wondering how early the engine/frame are?

Dave
Frame is CB12013535, and Engine is CB1E2013689, so have the spiral studs. Production date was around Oct '78, but wasn't registered in the UK until early 1981.

Paul.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I sure envy you guys with mechanical abilities. If you can't fix it with a rag and some metal polish, I'm usually lost.

mike209
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mike209 »

I came to the conclusion that they were originally black, but over time they fade to look like "olive drab", so this time have plated them black. To be honest, there's not that much of a difference in the two colours.
I had a bunch of parts plated black and they turned olive after just two months.

Really nice job Paul, have you considered recreating original stamping on the engine?

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

mike209 wrote:

Really nice job Paul, have you considered recreating original stamping on the engine?
Do you mean the build date info on the back of the crank cases? Would be nice to keep / put that back, but not thought about doing it so far!

Paul.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z Grand wrote:I sure envy you guys with mechanical abilities. If you can't fix it with a rag and some metal polish, I'm usually lost.
if a man put it together, another man(you) can take it apart...

with a service manual and the combined CBX brain power of this forum you can do just about anything...I'm finding things that I found very intimidating before(CARBS) :shock: I'm approaching with more confidence now, they don't frighten me as much as they did before ...I'll never know everything but it feels great when I do something new and succeed :D ...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Carbs

Carbs ready to go:
- carb bodies and bowls vapour blasted
- all brackets re-plated
- carb tops polished
- pilot jets extracted
- carb bodies / jets etc. cleaned in ultrasonic cleaner
- rebuild kit from Old School Carbs
- bench synched
- leak down tested
- (followed Mike Nixon's book)

Turned out OK:
20151208_120641.jpg
A few things caught me out:
- One of the carbs leaked when I did the leak down test. Turned out to be a cracked stand pipe - should have looked at them more carefully! Soldered it up to fix it.
- One of the accelerator nozzles wouldn't unblock. Tried the trick of putting rubber bungs each side of the body and using hydraulic pressure - nothing came out of the nozzle, but started to see fluid coming out where the nozzle was seated! Eventually cleared it by poking with thin guitar wire - taped a piece to the end of a screwdriver to come at it from the other side of the body.
- on final checks, noticed the choke plates on one bank of carbs weren't closing properly. Had just about resigned myself to having to break the rack up, when I tried loosening all the carb brackets / stays on that side - that cleared it.

Paul.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Red Dots

So why do the brake master cylinders / calipers have red dots on them?

Anyway, decided to put them back on the newly painted parts:
20151210_084907.jpg
20151210_092114.jpg

Paul.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Rolling Chassis

Starting to look like a bike now:
20151207_165318.jpg
20151208_155602.jpg
For the wheels, tried to get original look:
- anodising removed using oven cleaner (as per previous suggestion from CopperCollar)
- all marks removed using wet and dry paper (on both rim and spokes this time around)
- finished with 1000 grit paper, and then lightly polished with autosol.

Paul

Return to “Project Threads”