Suspension Upgrades

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Suspension Upgrades

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:I . If it doesn't quite clear, then some custom triples to move the forks ~5mm farther apart than stock should not be a problem.

Wouldn't it be less effort to machine a spacer for the hangers/calipers than making custom fork bridges?

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Syscrush wrote:I . If it doesn't quite clear, then some custom triples to move the forks ~5mm farther apart than stock should not be a problem.

Wouldn't it be less effort to machine a spacer for the hangers/calipers than making custom fork bridges?
For axial forks, yes. For radial forks it's a different story. Look at this pic of the front end in question:

It's easy to add/remove spacers to accommodate different rotor diameters (that was the original design intent of these setups), but displacing the caliper side-to-side is effectively impossible.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yep! I blanked out hat you are going for radial mount calipers.. 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:Yep! I blanked out hat you are going for radial mount calipers.. 8)
Good enough function for me + best cost picture = Prolink 39mm forks + excellent cartridge internals + CB1100F triples + custom caliper mounts + 4-pot axial calipers.

Imperceptibly better function + Pure bling = USD + radial brakes. :D

I still haven't decided. They both have their pros and cons.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Watching your thread Phil.
It will help me decide how to build the front end of my next bike.

So far, money no consideration, I like the looks of the USD.

Budget wise I will probably go with the CB1100F front end. I have been looking for a Canadian CB1100F set of forks and triple clamps.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

CopperCollar wrote:Watching your thread Phil.
It will help me decide how to build the front end of my next bike.
Good, I was hoping that it would be of some use and/or entertainment to others.
So far, money no consideration, I like the looks of the USD.
What wheels are you planning to use? Wheel width & clearance of the calipers looks like it'll be about as much of a consideration as the fork length.
Budget wise I will probably go with the CB1100F front end. I have been looking for a Canadian CB1100F set of forks and triple clamps.
What are the differences between the Candian & US CB1100F front ends?

What are the differences between Pro-Link forks and CB1100F forks?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Canadian 1100F forks had tubes more the length of the Pro-Link ones to accommodate clip-ons like the Pro-Link. Internals and lowers completely different than the CBX. Internals and lowers the same on US and Canadian F forks except for longer damping adjusting rods (due to longer tubes). Standard tube bars can be used with the US version without mods. Advantage of Canadian set-up is you can use a Pro-Link top clamp and have the gauges and fuse block bolt right up. The stock Canadian set-up is similar to the Pro-Link, but not a bolt-on swap of the gauges or fuse box. Of course you'll have to do some wiring to adapt the US F forks in that regard.

Other minor thing is the good built-in fork brace of the F forks and the F fender fits for an 18" wheel as-is. The Pro-Link fender (with built-in brace) has to be lowered on the Pro-Link fork for the 18" wheel to look right. No biggie, but remember also that if you use a plain fender on the Pro-Link forks, you'll need to add a fork brace.

Either of these options are immeasurably easier than what you've been considering. Big problem is availability of Canadian 1100F forks - they just didn't make very many. I've been lucky to find one set in the last 10 years. I suppose Frank's could make custom longer tubes for US forks, but you'll have to make longer adjusting rods. Nothing wrong with using a US 1100F front end wholesale - just have to rewire fuse block and adapt gauges.

Woops - forgot about the air crossover tube below the top triple. Stock 1100F one bolts to the top clamp, but I think we used a Pro-Link top triple and just let the crossover 'float' ,as it were. Or we may have plugged the holes and ran without air assist - can't remember. That was on the Katrina bike.

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks Dave. If I do go with 39mm RSU forks I'll be having the internals replaced completely and air assist will be deleted. No matter what I do, I'm swapping to handlebars so will be relocating the fuse block.

So, Candian CB1100F forks are about the same length as the CBX forks from all years, and US CB1100F forks are what, about an inch shorter?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Whatever the height is from the scribe line to the tube top on the CBX is the difference in tube length.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I know, you have decided on a swingarm, Phil, but look what I found last night. Talked to a friend and CB1100R/CBX owner and he showed me this. He gave it to me to try out. On first look the dimensions are dead on compared to the stock 79/80 frame width and shock-to-pivot distance. I like the excentric chain adjuster.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

That's a nifty piece.

Is it steel or aluminum?

So, he not only has an unobtanium 30 year old homologation special, he also has a cache of spare parts for it? Nice! :-)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It's aluminum. There are acouple minor issues that need to be checked. I will do a installation check on a frame this weekend.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Very cool.

Wouldn't that be worth more than a new custom one? I guess that along with the limited supply for those parts, there's also a limited demand...

BTW - have you ridden the CB1100R? If so, how is it? :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:Very cool.

Wouldn't that be worth more than a new custom one? I guess that along with the limited supply for those parts, there's also a limited demand...

BTW - have you ridden the CB1100R? If so, how is it? :)

Phil: The swingarm is not from a CB1100R. It is not a Honda part.
I have a CB1100R myself. Actually one of the two that my friend owns used to be mine 6 years ago. I had all intentions to keep it, but Rob made me an offer I could not refuse. And after a few years, I decided to replace it.
The one I have right now, I bought from Jan Ringnalda , our ICOA President.

The swingarm on the CB1100R -D is basically the same as on the CB1100F. That's why Rob got this one here. I bought one myself and I am waiting for it to arrive. If it is not going into a CBX, I will put it into the R.

Towerguy
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Towerguy »

Is that a Kawasaki ZR1100 swingarm? It doesn't look aftermarket, it looks like something off a production bike and it looks to me exactly like the Kawasaki part. ZRX swingarms have already been adapted to CBX frames, if that's from the earlier ZR it may be an easy switch.
Last edited by Towerguy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Frost

1980 Black CBX
1980 Black CBX (Project bike-in pieces)
1987 Yamaha FZR750R
2000 Honda XR650R
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (Owned since high school)

Return to “Project Threads”