Prolink clutch into my Z

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Prolink clutch into my Z

Post by Samelak »

daves79x wrote:There is a washer in front of the sleeve also. That's the one sellers of these baskets never have and buyers don't know they need. From the parts fiche, you can see where it goes. When tight, the nut should barely have it's threads covered. The two washers are different part numbers than the early one, but early ones will work. The second washer in front is necessary due to the shorter sleeve.

Dave
When you say in front of the sleeve, do you mean right behind the castle nut? I have one (#20) there and I have almost no threads showing. The nut is almost exactly flush with the threads. When looking at the prolink parts breakdown, I have the following washers installed: #21 (2 each) and #20 (1 each). The extra washer I have is a #20. Would you mind listing and putting in order of installation of all the pieces? I really wish someone would make a pictoral of this installation.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Excuse me for being a little short here, but this has been explained about a million times. Look carefully at the parts fiche of the Pro-Link clutch. You will clearly see that a #21 washer goes directly behind the clutch center - in FRONT of the clutch outer and collar, and one goes in the familiar position behind the collar. I don't know what else to say - the parts fiche is quite clear. If you do not have access to the parts book, go to Bike Bandit. They have most any parts fiche there to see. Again, sorry for being less than cordial, but I gotta run.

Dave

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I got it the way you described and according to the microfiche. I guess Louis sent an extra #20 which is the smaller diameter (25mm) washer that is used behind the castle nut. It threw me off with all the talk about needing an extra washer. I'm going to button it up.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Again, sorry for the bad post this AM. I think you have it right.

Dave

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

Took the CBX out for a long ride and the clutch worked fine. No slipping anymore. I still get some noise from the clutch (or at least I think its from there) at idle but it is significantly quieter. Thanks to everyone on their input.

Return to “Project Threads”