My CBX1000C Restore Project

Hey, what projects are you planning or preparing for? CBX, other motos, workshop, WHATEVAH!
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: My CBX1000C Restore Project

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

heli_madken wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:20 pm
Thanks Jeff do you have any panniers? I have something planned for the panniers :D
Yes I do, I’ll just send you pictures of everything I have!

PM me!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:48 am
Funny enough my wife has suggested the same thing, she also persuaded me to paint the 550 stripe silver as opposed to gold as well as she felt it clashed with the Orange, here it is before I applied clear, I think she was right -
Your wife has impeccable taste!
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Syscrush wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:20 am
Your wife has impeccable taste!
She failed miserably where I am concerned though!!!, certainly no oil painting :D

Jeff I will send you a message

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

heli_madken wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:15 am

Now some help with the colour scheme. I am only a few weeks off bodywork painting, I have made my mind up to go with CGR as I love the colour. Originally I had the same scheme as an 81 Magnum Silver Metallic in terms of the striping across the fairing/tank and down to the side panels but using a black/gold combination.

But then I came across this just recently -
Red 2.jpg
Red 1.jpg

The thing is I dont like it! I think perhaps its just too much gold and also the gold is well 'shout it in your face GOLD'. So I am thinking of a much narrower black line (around 20 to 25mm, wide enough to make a mask for the 'SuperSport' logo) which terminates at the front of the fairing and doesn't follow up the vertical sides of the headlamp then below this a 4mm wide gold stripe using a much darker more subdued gold. No stripe above the black line.

Any opinions please?
Found the picture, I love the bodywork!
B7F9E971-52CE-487C-B03C-0D140DDDC699.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Cant see your point Jeff, there isn't a motorcycle in that picture :D

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Engine is officially back in :-) :-)

There is a knack to getting the carburetors onto the rubbers, unfortunately I don't have it. Jeez I nearly creased myself pushing and shoving. I had lube everywhere, heat, new rubbers, after 5 hours of trying different approaches they suddenly popped on. Don't know what I did that was any different. The air box rubbers are a little easier but wow there is a lot of stuff in a very confined space.

Anyway the rest was straight forward and during a respite in the weather I took the bike outside for a wash as there is dust everywhere from polishing, some pictures -
20220219_160637.jpg
20220219_160650.jpg
20220219_162920.jpg
20220219_160618.jpg
I am really chuffed with the exhaust, glad I spent so much time on it. The CBX engine has to be even now one of the best looking motorcycle engines ever produced.

Nearly there in terms of start up, next up is to sort out the Dyna ignition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

That is looking really good. The pipes look even better than original, IMO. Keeping them that way may an issue though.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Rick Pope wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:28 pm
That is looking really good. The pipes look even better than original, IMO. Keeping them that way may an issue though.
Thanks Rick, I was reading an old copy of CBXPress detailing the SuperTrapp exhaust which mentioned that the whole exhaust turned a golden colour with use so it will be interesting to see what happens. In any case I just love polishing so it wont be an issue :D

One thing on my side is that it has to be one of the easiest exhausts to fit I have ever come across so taking it apart once in a while wont be an issue.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Great milestone in your project!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

All your work on the exhaust certainly paid off.
It looks fantastic especially against a Prolink engine.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Looking great, it's really nice to see this milestone!
heli_madken wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:31 pm
The CBX engine has to be even now one of the best looking motorcycle engines ever produced.
Given that I hate how liquid-cooled engines look, IMO it will stand as one of the best-looking of all time. As far as I'm concerned, the only ones in the same territory are...

The Vincent V-twin:

The Ducati bevel-drive:

And honorable mention for the Suzuki air-oil cooled I4:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

SHE LIVES!!!

Got the Dyna system installed and just statically timed for now.

Used a remote fuel tank and pressed the starter, after a short while whilst the float bowls filled she fired up and sounded wonderful straight away.

Once warm settled into a really nice idle, considering I have only bench synced the carbs I could not be happier. Celebratory drink tonight I think.

This is the first time I have heard the bike since I bought it, the engine makes no rattles at all and after only a short time the exhaust was running clear. I have the SuperTrapp set fully open and wow that exhaust note is amazing.

Next up is to sort the petrol tank, despite my efforts last year it is still rusting, I think I am going to have to apply a liner which is something I have always tried to avoid, going for POR 15 which seems to get good reviews.

Chuffed to say the least.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

heli_madken wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:19 pm
Celebratory drink tonight I think.
CONGRATS!!!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

heli_madken wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:19 pm
SHE LIVES!!!

Next up is to sort the petrol tank, despite my efforts last year it is still rusting, I think I am going to have to apply a liner which is something I have always tried to avoid, going for POR 15 which seems to get good reviews.

Chuffed to say the least.
Following the Instructions to the tee! Getting the tank completely dry in between the steps is the key, also build yourself a rotisserie, something like this, hand cranked is sufficient, it took me a couple hrs to build with an all thread and some 1x6!
23C9AA4E-5807-4518-BD72-115D44C3A6A3.jpeg
B86A5417-83E3-445D-8379-413FF759E38C.jpeg

heli_madken
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by heli_madken »

Syscrush wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:17 am
Looking great, it's really nice to see this milestone!
heli_madken wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:31 pm
The CBX engine has to be even now one of the best looking motorcycle engines ever produced.
Given that I hate how liquid-cooled engines look, IMO it will stand as one of the best-looking of all time. As far as I'm concerned, the only ones in the same territory are...

The Vincent V-twin:
Apologies for not replying to your post I was a little excited. Yes some of the early Brit bikes had engines to die for, the Black Shadow was way ahead of its time
Syscrush wrote:
The Ducati bevel-drive:
The squareness of this engine puts me off a little bit, to me its more iconic than beautiful. I remember meeting a couple on Holiday in 1979, I had a GL1000 they had a 900SS I did feel a little inadequate at the time but both engines were mechanical marvels (sorry I know it was water cooled)
Syscrush wrote:
And honorable mention for the Suzuki air-oil cooled I4:
Agreed it did have beautiful simple lines
Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:32 pm

Following the Instructions to the tee! Getting the tank completely dry in between the steps is the key, also build yourself a rotisserie, something like this, hand cranked is sufficient, it took me a couple hrs to build with an all thread and some 1x6!
Will do Jeff Thanks. I didnt mention that I took the sump cover off to replace the oil strainer, I was gobsmacked as I usually expect to see a mass of horrible sludge on a bike of this age but their was nothing. Dave must have changed the oil on this bike every few hundred miles.

Return to “Project Threads”